The City of Santa Clarita’s Cowboy Festival encourages all buckaroos and buckarettes to enter an original poem in the Youth Poetry Roundup Contest. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be invited to recite their poems at the Cowboy Festival on the Wild West Stage and will receive complimentary tickets to invite family and friends.
Students are encouraged to write about the life of the cowboy and cowgirl, the settlement of the West,
life on the open range, or cowgirls and cowboys of the future.
- Poetry should rhyme or be in rhymed couplets.
- Poetry should tell a story in the historic oral narrative tradition.
- One poem per student submitted with accompanying entry form.
- Poems must be one page only, legibly printed or typed, and double-spaced.
- Categories for City of Santa Clarita student submissions are:
Grades 1 – 3 Grades 4 – 6 Grades 7 – 9 Grades 10 – 12
- Postmark deadline is Friday, April 3, 2015
- All 1st through 3rd place winners will be invited to recite their poetry onstage at the Santa Clarita Cowboy
- Festival on Sunday, April 19, 2015
- Entries become property of the City of Santa Clarita
The Winners’ Loot:
All trophies will be awarded for each of the four categories at the 21st Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival.